MY TOP REMEDIES TO FIGHT THE FLU
Aktualisiert: März 25
Being sick is never fun, but very often it's our body telling us that we need to rest and that we overdone it some way or another. Therefore giving yourself relaxation and some time off is vital. Here are my top remedies to support you when you have the classical symptoms of a flu.
1. Yogi Tea
Drink enough tea. We've heard it a million times. But there is a difference between tea-bag tea's and actual tea. Most teas that we consume out of a tea bag, have close to zero health benefits. And that's why:
1. If you don't buy organic tea, you will have chemicals in it. And that's the last thing you want when your body is weak.
2. Most companies only use the restmaterial of the plants / herbs in their tea bags, because it's cheaper. So you think you're getting the health benefits from nature, but actually there is not much left of that magic in your bag.
3. If they do not use rest material but actually also put quality ingredients in it, the amount will not be enough to have a significant impact.
Of course there are also very good quality organic tea on the market, but they are hard to find. So my answer to this tea problem is: Do it yourself! It is so simple and much cheaper as well. My favorite self-made tea is very easy to make and does not take long at all. It's a variation of the Ayurvedic yogi tea, which is very famous for its health benefits. If you do not have all ingredients, start with those you have. I do highly recommend that you get the herbs / spices at some point.
Yogi Tea Recipe
First of all I need to confess, I absolutely hate the taste of most of the ingredients. But (!) when all the spices blend in together after cooking them for a while. The taste is great! You can also add more of those spices you like and less of those you do not like. But trust me, don't cheat by leaving some of them away. Those are probably the ones with the highest health benefits. Also there is no fixed amount to each ingredient. It's totally up to you. Please make sure all ingredients are organic, otherwise you might get an unwanted dose of chemicals.
- ginger with the skin (about 3cm long or more)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. turmeric (or fresh turmeric with the skin, about 3cm)
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp. cardamon
- 1-2 tsp. fennel seeds (gives a nice tasty sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. black cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. whole cloves (the spice)
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
-> The preparation is very simple. Add all the ingredients into a cooking pot and add about 3 liters of water. Then you cook the ingredients with middle heat. The water should not be boiling, but be hot. Leave it for about 15-20min. Use a strainer when filling up your teacup. You can re-use the spices again, just refill your pot with water and heat it up again.
2. Steam Inhalation
I'm sure many of you had to do this as a child - and hated it! As most of those old home remedies that our parents or maybe even grandparents used to tell us, they are not fun but they work and are healthy. And that's the important thing.. So here is my variation of steam inhalation.
When we are sick and have a blocked nose, a sore throat or are coughing. The problem is usually the same: We have an infection in either one of those parts in our body and therefore the body produces a lot of mucus. Depending on your stadium of illness, you might have a huge ton of mucus stuck in your sinuses or lunges. And the easiest way to get rid of it is to make it more liquid, so it can come out of your body. Apart from drinking a lot of water (number 1 on my list), inhaling steam is another very efficient way to help this process.
1. You can either use plain water or water with salt if you have no essential oils to add to your water. You boil water, then take it off the hot stove. Place a towel over your head and start inhaling and exhaling. Inhaling always through the mouth, exhaling through the nose. If you directly inhale through the nose the heat will cause swelling and therefore block it even more. Do the steam inhalation for about 5-10min and repeat 3-4 during the day (or more).
2. Extra helpful: Adding essential oils like eucalyptus, cypress and tea tree (melaleuca). Same process as mentioned above, after boiling the water and taking it off the stove, add 2 drops of every oil.
The reason I love essential oils is because they bring a huge load of health benefits. And they are so simple to use. It would take way too long to explain all the amazing health benefits of those oils in this post. If you want to know more about it, you can message me or head over to my essential oils page. (click on shop -> your country -> essential oils, there you find all the informations to the oils)
Here is a short list why those three oils are especially good for inhalation:
- opens airways
- supports oral health
- energizes and refreshes
- grounding, yet stimulating effect on emotions -> perfect for transition
- very uplifting
- very purifying
- opens airways
It's as simple as it gets. I know doing the steam inhalation takes some effort at the beginning. But it is really helpful, and so easy. Give the healing process time, it might take a day until you feel the benefits.
Do you know that sensation when you're sick and you absolutely do not feel like eating? There is a very good reason to that.
Digestion is a high-performance act our body fulfills every day. And it costs our body a lot of energy and effort. Naturally when the body is weak and has no energy, it rejects the tasks that costs the most energy. And that is among others our digestion. Therefore many people experience a lack of hunger during illness - and that's very helpful for your body!
Every time you eat something (even more when you eat unhealthy) your body spends a lot of energy to digest, energy it does not have left to use for your healing during that time. This chapter does not apply if you actually really feel hungry and want to eat. Then please do it - your body always knows best! But I know out of own experience, that especially parents always say: But you're sick, you MUST eat something otherwise you won't get healthy. But sorry, that is simply not true at all. Quite the opposite! If you drink enough, especially healthy herbs / spices your body has more than enough to get healthy.
To summarize: Trust your body. If you're hungry, eat. But if not, please don't force yourself, your body needs the energy to get healthy.
4. INSIDE JOB
When you're sick it is very often not just a physical issue, but a mental one too. It's no secret that our mental state influences our body and vice versa. Ignored emotions and disregarded issues and patterns can cause serious harm to your body. So it might be time to take a deeper look at what is going on. Especially if you keep facing the same symptoms over and over again.
For many years I suffered from infected and swollen tonsils almost every winter. And I'm not talking about "just a sore throat". I would actually not be able to swallow or eat anymore and had to take antibiotics every single time. Until I searched for the deeper meaning of infected tonsils. After that I hardly ever got that infection anymore. I'd like to share some basic guidelines with you, of what an infection / illness of a certain body part means. And related questions you can ask yourself. But in the end, everyone is different. Have the courage to be honest with yourself and search for answers. I'm sure you'll find them.
- What situations am I not analyzing from a true and correct perspective?
- When am I not following my intuition? When did I ignore my intuition?
- Am I afraid of failure?
- What am I afraid of acknowledging? Am I feeling overwhelmed?
- Is my ego taking over? Am I taking life too seriously? Am I open to follow the flow of life?
Throat related issues
- Am I able to honestly communicate my emotions and thoughts?
- Do I feel helpless in a certain situation? Am I unable to find a solution?
- Do I have a good communication with myself and others?
- Can I freely express myself, my true self no matter where or with whom I am?
Lung related issues
- Am I being controlled by someone else (for example his/her opinion or social customs)
- Can I freely choose my life?
- Am I held back / controlled by my own patterns? What pattern is controlling my life at the moment?
- Am I feeling guilty for something?
You see, there is a whole other world if you want to dig deeper into the cause of your issues. Most of the time there is always a deeper meaning behind everything. Don't be afraid of what you might find. No matter how deep the darkness of unconsciousness might be, whatever you bring into the light of consciousness, has the power to transform itself. And if I've learned something in life, it's that the biggest empowerment comes from releasing your biggest fears.
With this blogpost I hope to have given you some new insight to my top remedies against all flu related symptoms. After all getting enough sleep and rest is still the most efficient and easiest way to make your body fit again. If you have any questions related to any of the above, don't hesitate to contact me. It's my pleasure to share my knowledge and experience with you. If you want to see more of my daily life and tips I share, follow me on Instagram.
If this article was helpful, please feel free to share it with friends and family.